The advantageThe advantage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The advantageThe advantage

Post  skechers on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:55 pm

The advantage

The advantage of a duck gun is, that it will carry large shot more compactly, and may be fired with double or treble the charge for a piece of an ordinary size. -You are therefore enabled to use the largest shot, with the same advantage, that No. 7 may be fired from a double gun; by which means, at a large object, you may kill considerably farther; and, in a flock, many more birds at a shot.
In comparing small shot from a double gun, as having the same advantage over large, that a pin, with a moderate pressure, would have over
MBT Shoes Clearance a nail, in piercing the feathers of game, by the same argument it may be said, that large shot, from a duck gun, would have the effect of the nail driven by jimmy choo uggs a hammer through the strong bones and feathers of wildfowl. A large gun, to carry twice as much
as a small one (say three or four ounces), should not weigh less than 12, nor exceed 16lbs. and be
MBT Shoes used with No. 1 or 2 shot; and the same proportion of powder as before recommended. One to carry five or six ounces, should not weigh less than 18, nor exceed 20lbs., and be used with A or B shot; and so on in proportion; but this is the most that can well be fired with¨out a rest.
The recoil of a duck gun can only be checked by weight of metal, and there are two ways to dis¨pose of it: the one,
jimmy choo immense thickness, whereby the gun may be short, portable, and easily ma¨naged; and the other, considerable length, by which you may kill farther, and take a much more accurate aim. The former is the plan of Mr. Joseph Manton, the latter of Mr. D. Egg: and, in order to partake a little of both advan¨tages, I should steer between the two, and MBT have my barrels never less than three feet eight, nor more than four feet four inchesunless I used a rest; by which means a gun being top heavy is rendered quite the reverse of objectionable. In this case, I should adopt the plan jimmy choo shoes of Mr. D. Egg, as the best in every respect.

skechers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top